Cold Extrusion operations utilise a unique 2,000 tonne capacity, hydraulic cold forming press specifically designed and manufactured for the production of integrally extruded outlets in headers, vessels, manifolds and related products for applications in the oil, gas, petrochemical, nuclear and other industries.
The Cold Extrusion process uses a closed die, cold forming technique to produce a seamless forged nozzle (extruded branch outlet) as an integral part of the main header or manifold body. The uninterrupted branch outlet profile achieved by this process significantly improves the inherent flow characteristics a distinct advantage for example in oil and gas metering system headers, large filter bodies or other vessels where the avoidance of significant pressure variation is an important design consideration. For example, the adoption of the cold extruded configuration for fired heater headers is routinely specified as a mandatory inclusion. Seamless integrally extruded outlets also assist in eliminating the requirement for “welded-on” branch or forged fittings at the most critical juncture in any piping system where the attachment weld may not be satisfactorily examined by subsequent NDT methods. Following heat treatment of the vessels, where appropriate, extruded outlets can be machined to accommodate full penetration butt welds at a location considerably removed from the area of maximum stress concentration which can be readily examined and verified by subsequent Radiography or Ultrasonic techniques. The integrity of a cold extruded outlet reduces stress concentrations to a minimum thereby enhancing fatigue resistance and improving the longevity of service life. Materials deployed in the cold extruding process include, high yield Carbon Steels through Low Alloy, Chrome-Moly Steels, Stainless Steels, 800 Series Nickel alloys, Duplex and Superduplex materials and others.
Projects completed and delivered on a global basis include oil and gas metering manifolds for Ukraine, Turkey, Iran and Saudi Arabia, fired heater headers for petrochemical plants in Germany, Taiwan, Turkey, China, India and Italy and duplex production manifolds for offshore Azerbaijan and UK subsea installations. Within the UK, AJT has also manufactured replacement Quench Headers for chemical plant applications, Stainless Steel tube plates for Nitric Acid evaporators for nuclear plant and high-yield material, split tee reinforcement sleeves for the protection of subsea pipeline tie-ins. The production of a series of cold extruded single, double and triple outlet T pieces for a major development offshore West Africa for utilisation in 2,000 metre water depths.
Ongoing or recently completed projects include:
- A series of 30” and 42” Steam Superheater Manifolds in Alloy 800HT and 304H Stainless Steel for China.
- A set of 8” Heater Headers in 304 Stainless Steel for Equatorial Guinea.
- Heater Manifolds in 347H Stainless Steel for India
- Repeat orders for Stainless Steel, Nitric Acid Evaporator Tubeplates for a UK Nuclear Power Plant
- Quench Headers for a UK Petrochemical Plant
- A set of 24 Low Alloy, 28” Platformer CCR Manifolds for Trinidad
- An EB/SM Steam Superheater contract with 28” and 30” 304H Stainless Steel and Alloy 800HT Manifolds for France
- A series of contracts for Central Hub Units and ancillary components for the Air Distribution Grids of Fluid Catalytic Cracker Units for Portugal, Norway and the Middle East.
- The supply of 40” and 60” Fired Heater Headers for India